Villanova has a great basketball tradition, but North Carolina's is even better. Here are some enjoyable superlatives to ponder as Saturday night approaches:
North Carolina in the NCAA Tournament
- Is making its 18th appearance in the Final Four, the most of any school (this year broke the 17-17 tie with UCLA).
- Has won four national championships.
- Has made 41 NCAA appearances, won 100 NCAA tournament games, and played in 139 of them, all #2 all-time.
- Has received 13 #1 seeds, more than any other.
- Made 27 consecutive appearances in the NCAA tournament from 1973-2001, an NCAA record, that I think is probably the most impressive record of all the many in the media guide. (If it hadn't been for the fact that the basketball gods sent Matt Doherty back to UNC to become head coach earlier in this decade, it might very well have continued to this day.)
- Under Dean Smith, made 13 consecutive appearances in the Sweet 16, from 1981-1993.
- Ranks second only to Kentucky, in total wins (1,950 before this season, now approaching 2,000) and winning percentage (73.6%, entering the season).
- Has been ranked #1 in the AP poll 96 times, in the top 10, 573 times, and ranked, period, 742 times (the last one being a record).
There are two ways you can contact Villanova Viewpoint. One is by commenting on this blog. Comments are encouraged. Also, you can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org (Important note: This is a different e-mail address than before. Please use this new one.)