As I've been writing the series of Senior Farewells - the latest of which, on Frank Tchuisi, you can read at the bottom of this post...
I would like to call your attention to a superb piece over at Villanova by the Numbers, by greyCat, where he takes his quantitative look at the achievements of this most magnificent of Villanova Wildcats classes...
Here's a sample-
The four players who will graduate as members of the Class of 2009 were not the four most heralded players to set foot on the Main Line -- not an MDAA among them. But they leave a legacy that will be hard to match. Consider that:Go Wildcats!
1. They went 15-1 in the Big 5, compiling an astonishing 0.938 winning percentage, the best in Big 5 history.
2. The 2006 team (they were freshmen) broke Villanova's single season win record (26) by winning 28 games on their way to an NCAA Elite Eight.
3. That 2006 team was the Big East regular season co-champion (with Connecticut), posting a 14-2 record in conference play. That 2006 team was the first in over 20 years to earn a regular season conference championship.
4. As seniors their (2009) team broke that record again by winning 30 games in a season.
5. Broke the Class of 2008's record for most career wins by a class (96) by winning 102 games during their 4 years on the Main Line.
Of course, check back for the latest posts in the Senior Farewell series, in which I'll be looking back at the Villanova tenures of the other two departing Wildcats, Dwayne Anderson and Dante Cunningham - the Tchuisi and Shane Clark series are already completed...
There are two ways you can contact Villanova Viewpoint. One is by commenting on this blog. Comments are encouraged, and will always be answered. Also, you can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org (Important note: This is a different e-mail address than before. Please use this new one.)